Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Finishing the job...

Getting the height corrector leak returns into the new rubber piece.

Hooking up the tank. from left to right: Return from the Y, suspension returns, pedalo return and height corrector leak returns.

Cut out the bulge for new rubber hose.

A common problem: The radiator hose rubs on the hydraulic line of the rack. At some point the line will leak. This one was close.

I've just glued a piece of rubber with some gasket sealer.

The owner complained about gas smell...

Ready to fill the system with the hydraulic fluid.

... Not green but works as well as LHM.

The placement of the regulator turned out to be right.

A little trick to align the hood: use a socket to hold the latch opened.

... And a gauge filler on the left side.

Apparently finished, but when I was about to tuck away the rubber hoses under the car, here what happened...

The Y broke and I had a hydraulic fluid shampoo!

The small line is very fragile, so instead of changing the part with an original, I use T's readily available at Home Depot. This will last for ever. For an "original" restoration I would have use the appropriate part of course.

After driving the car for a while, the leak returns of the height correctors started to leak. I just removed the fender and shields and replaced the rubber connection with a smaller diameter hose.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tank + the rack is back!

The tank is ready. I am not 100% happy since I have some fish-eyes on the top, but it is difficult to get rid of the silicone which was in this tank for years and now all over my garage!

I've looked for vinyl compatibility with mineral oil and found out that it is good. So, I have changed the original stained clear tube with a new one. The mini and maxi marks are approximately 4cm and 7cm from the bottom rib. I couldn't find the right lettering for Mini and Maxi; they are 1cm height. This tank doesn't look original but it is clean and there is no confusion about the kind of fluid to use.

The rack and cross-member are in.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Fluid tank and rubber returns...

I have chemically stripped the tank. I did not want to sand blast since it would be very difficult to remove all sand from inside the tank. I was concerned about silicone while painting the tank. I have some traces on the top of the tank but it is not too bad. For a concourse type restoration I would have to redo the paint.

The piping to the main accumulator is completed

The Y is installed and all rubber lines are in place.

Ready to install the tank.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Main accu (Continued), brackets and piping.

Forming the line going from the pump to the main accumulator.

Temporary in place.

The line going to the firewall is now done.

Now connected to the car's hydraulic system.